Monday, January 5, 2009

Road Kill Chpt 5

The Big Night

The phone had rung in LoyAnn’s apartment. “Hello,” she’d said.

“Hey baby, it’s me, how’s the love of my life?” the familiar sounding voice on the phone had said.

“Why Sid, to what do I owe the privilege of this call?” she’d replied in a rather sarcastic tone, almost mocking him.

“Well baby I was thinking, why don’t we do something different this week end?” he’d answered. “I know we always spend the weekends at either your or my place, but how about something different this week end?”

“What do you have in mind, lover boy?” she’d replied.

“How about a romantic get away?” he’d asked her. “Doesn’t that sound good to you? I mean we could take some time off from work. Leave on Thursday night after work. Maybe go to Boulder or Aspen. Get a nice cabin up there, no TV, no phones, nothing and forget about the outside world. Just you and me!”

“Oh my,” she’d answered. She’d been delighted with the idea and in fact had been thinking about asking him to take some time off work from his job, but never had wanted to do anything that might have hurt his new found success with his job.

“Oh my! Yes of course,” she’d replied.

“Ok, baby let me set it up,” he’d answered. “I was going to surprise you, but sometimes I know you don’t want to take a day off from work and I just didn’t want to whisk you away from your job.”

“No problem,” she’d said. “Call me when you get it all set up and I’ll tell the people at work that I’ll be taking a day off. See ya love.”

“Yeah see ya love,” he’d said hanging up the phone.

The next night she’d received a call from Sid, he’d arranged the entire week end for them. He’d rented a place in the mountains, but hadn’t told her where. “Want to surprise you babe,” was all that he’d said. “I want to surprise you.”

Finally the big day had arrived and she’d felt it’d been like old times. A weekend away from everyone and everything would be what both of them had needed. Her job hadn’t been too stressful, but still she’d liked getting away once in a while. Denver had been perfect for that, if you wanted to go skiing you’d go the mountains, if you wanted to go golfing you’d travel a few hours and would be in the desert.

She’d packed her overnighter with some sexy little numbers that would keep her man’s attention; she hadn’t wanted anything to go wrong on their get-away. She’d arranged for one of her friend’s to feed the fish and take care of her cat, it’d been no big deal because she’d be gone for only a few days.

Before Sid arrived at her place he’d given her a ring on her cell phone. “Hi love, I’ll be there in less then five minutes. See you downstairs. Love ya.”

Two months ago Sid had purchased a new dark green Land Rover and it was totally loaded with all the little toys he liked. He’d become very successful at his job, in fact his climb up the corporate ladder had been meteoric. He’d gotten a promotion soon after he’d started and it seemed he enjoyed his new job as the National Sales Manger. He never really had spoken much about work with her, but she’d known that he’d been happy at his job, and if he’d be happy, she’d be happy as well. She’d hoped that he would have asked her to move in, but that’d been no problem since she’d gotten to see him on most week-ends and their love making had never cooled. So she’d been happy.
As he’d opened the door he greeted her. “Hi babe, here let me have your bag and I’ll throw in the back.” Taking her bag he’d walked to the rear of the SUV, popped open the rear window and had thrown the bag into the hatch. He’d closed the window, walked back to the front and after he’d jumped in, pecked her on the cheek. She’d returned the kiss, but hers a bit more passionate.

“Thanks babe,” was all he’d said. “Let’s get rolling.”

“Where are we going?” she’d asked.

“Don’t worry your pretty little head,” he’d replied. “I’ve plans for the entire week end and I want it to be a great surprise. A really great surprise.”

He’d programmed a few simple commands into the GPS and they’d been off. He’d popped in a CD into the player; it’d been an old Bob Marley CD that Sid had picked up at some music store in town. It’d brought back memories of their college days; just sitting around their small apartment, listening to music and making love. They’d been on the road about three hours; finally she’d seen some lights in the distance.

“Well this is the first stop,” he’d said. “Let’s grab something to eat. OK? I’m famished.”

“Me too,” had been her response.

After parking the SUV in the parking lot, they’d walked hand in hand into the small, cozy restaurant. The place had been about half full, as they’d walked through the bar, a large breasted blonde had given them a smile. LoyAnn instinctively had smiled back and nodded hello. The dinner had been great! The wine had been great! Sid had been great! The cabin had been within a five minute walk of the restaurant and after they’d eaten they retired to the cabin. A fire had been burning in the fireplace as they’d made passionate love, long and hard passionate love. She’d wished they’d never have to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment