The Good Girl
‘Sid you bastard,’ she’d thought.
“During my early years I lived in a suburb of Chicago. I came from a very conservative and religious family,” she’d said. “My parents made my younger sister and I say our prayers every night. My sister was very rebellious and never really liked to say her prayers, but every night like clock work at nine o’clock my parents got out the family Bible and we’d start our Bible study and prayer session. Sometimes this only lasted about 30 minutes, some nights, however, it lasted what seemed like endless hours. My father was very strict and allowed me to have only a few friends and that was only after he gave them the third degree. If they didn’t pass the muster, he wouldn’t allow me to see them again. My father didn’t allow the family to socialize much; he pretty much kept to himself outside of work and didn’t allow my mom to have any of her friends over to the house. Once however he did allow me and my sister to have some of our friends over, but I really think that was through our mom’s intervention. My Mom would often say ‘Let them have a little freedom Stan. They’re just kids you know.’”
“Every Sunday we made the drive to our father’s favorite church to hear his favorite minister preach the word of the Lord. Sunday after Sunday the same routine, we four got dressed in our Sunday best and headed on out to Church. My parents were both working class folks so we had no extra money to squander on fancy clothes or high priced cars. We were just middle a class American family living our boring lives.”
“During the very early years of my life, nothing very eventful happened, but that was about to change. I remember it well. It was an early spring that year, the flowers were starting to wake from their long winter’s nap and the trees in our yard were starting to bud. On a Saturday afternoon in early April I was out playing with one of my friends . The air was crisp and the warm sunshine on my bare arms made me feel like I never wanted this day to end. We went down to the small creek that ran through a nearby park and were playing along its banks looking to see if there were any fish in the slow running waters. I bent over to look, however I lost my footing and fell into the creek. It wasn’t deep enough nor was the current swift enough to cause me any danger, but I was soaking wet. My friend helped me out of the water, there I stood wet from head to toe, we started laughing and laughing. We couldn’t stop. We played in the park for a short time, but the sky became overcast and it looked as though we were going to have a Spring shower, so we both decided to head home.”
“I arrived home and my mother almost had a fit. ‘Oh my lord, LoyAnn, what has gotten into to you?’ she said. ‘Your clothes are soaked and you’re covered in mud. What have you been doing? Are you all right?’”
“‘Sorry mom, we were playing down by the creek and I slipped and fell but I am OK, I didn’t hurt myself, I’m just wet.’”
“‘Well get out of those wet clothes right now!’ she said. ‘I don’t want you to get ill, take a hot shower, I’ll make you some warm soup.’”
“I went to bed that night, but in the morning I didn’t feel well. ‘It looks like you are coming down with something,’ my mom said. ‘I think you’ll need to stay in bed all day today.’ It was Sunday and we ALWAYS went to prayer services on Sunday, and that day was no exception. As I was getting dressed I heard my mother and father having an argument. My mom came into my room and said, ‘Where do you think you are going, young lady? You’re going to stay at home and in bed all day, I don’t want you coming down with something.’”
“’But what about Church?’ I said. ‘Well what about it?’ she replied. ‘You’re staying home. That is my final decision. So get your butt back into bed,’ she said with a smile. This was the first time I could remember that I ever missed Sunday prayer services.”
LoyAnn had stopped, gotten up and going to the kitchen she’d gotten herself a drink. She hadn’t shared Sid’s affinity for beer, but wouldn’t pass up a glass of wine. She’d poured herself a glass of red wine from the bottle that’d been on the kitchen table and after taking a sip, had returned to her seat in the small living room of their apartment.
“I must have slept the better part of the day, when I awoke it was beginning to get a bit dark,” she’d begun. “I got out of bed, threw on some sweats and walked toward the front of the house. We lived in a rather cozy ranch house and my room was the rear of the house. ‘Mom..Dad.. Are you home?’ I called, but there was no answer. ‘Mom..Dad!! Are you here?’ Again no answer. I was a bit worried because they never had done this kind of thing before. If they expected to be late, they always would call and tell us. As I said my Dad was strict, but was a caring father and he never wanted us to worry about him. Even if he was going to be a few minutes late from work, he would try to call and tell us that he’d be late. ‘What could have happened to them?’ I wondered.”
“Unfortunately all my questions were soon to be answered.” A small tear had run down LoyAnn’s cheek.
“There was a knock at the front door. I ran to the door and as I opened it, I saw two policemen standing in the doorway. One of them said. ‘Good evening young lady. Is this the Gordon residence?’”
“ ‘Why? What’s wrong? What’s happed?’ I cried.”
“ ‘May we come in?’ he asked.”
“‘What’s happened?’” I cried again and again……”
“My parents had been killed in a car crash on the way home from Church, the driver of a tanker truck lost control of his truck and it ran a red light and plowed into my family’s car. They all were killed instantly. No pain! Just a quick and painless death for the god fearing Gordon family.”
LoyAnn had gotten up and taking the last drink of her wine, she’d said. “Excuse me for a moment; I need to use the bathroom.” She’d tried to hide the tears that’d been running down her cheeks as she left the room.
‘Sid you bastard,’ she’d thought. ‘You fucking bastard!!’
LoyAnn had returned to the living room, her eyes had been a bit red for it’d looked as if she’d been crying.
“Well let me continue,” she’d said. “My entire family had been killed in a fiery car crash and my entire world had come crashing down with that single horrendous incident.”
“The police made arrangements for me to stay with some neighbors. I had no idea what was going to happen to me, because I knew my Mom and Dad were the only children in their families. My Dad’s parents were both too old to take care of me and my Mom’s father recently had passed away and her mother was in a nursing home so certainly she couldn’t take care of a twelve year old girl. I’d no idea what was going to happen to me; some nights I’d lie in bed and cry myself to sleep.”
“Little to my knowledge my Mom had a sister who she’d never mentioned to me or my sister, but none the less a few days later Aunt Julia appeared and took me to what was going to be my home for the rest of my youth. Julie, as she preferred to be called, was a research scientist for 3M Company in Minneapolis. She owned a small but cozy home in one of the suburbs of the Twin Cities where she’d lived ever since she received her Masters in Chemical Engineering from MIT. I was soon to find out that she’d quite a different background from my rather conservative mother.”
“Julie helped me pack-up all my worldly belongings, made arrangements to put our house on the market, sold most of the family’s belongings and took care of what ever needed to be taken care of before we left for my new home. I said my last good-byes to my friends and early one Thursday morning in the Spring of 1989 I took my last look at the old neighborhood. We jumped in her Land Rover and headed north to a new life.”
“‘So tell me something about yourself,’ Julie asked me as we cruised down the interstate toward the Twin Cities.”
“‘Well there isn’t much to know about a 12 year old kid,’ I said with a forced smile. ‘This June, I’d have been graduating from middle school, but now I guess I don’t even have that to look forward to. I’ve a few close friends, but now they too are gone, so I guess I can say… well.. I guess there is nothing much to say.’”
“ ‘However, I’ve this question for you Aunt Julia,’ I said.”
“‘OK,’ she answered. ‘But please just call me Julie. OK?’”
“‘Fine,’ I said. ‘Julie’”
“‘Great! So what is the question?’ she asked.”
“‘Why didn’t Mom ever mention that she had a sister?’ I asked.”
“For an instant Julie took her eyes off of the road and looked at me, then went back to looking at the highway. ‘I was the black sheep of the family,’ she replied. ‘I ran away from home at an early age and never went back. You see your grandfather and I were always at odds about most everything. I just got fed up with him telling me where I could go and what I could do. He was a very religious person, he forced us to go to prayer services every Sunday, and additionally we had home bible study at least twice a week. He didn’t allow us to have any social life and boys were out of the question. So one day I got fed up with the situation; packed my bags, walked out the front door and never looked back.’”
“‘I got lucky I guess, at first I knocked around in a few small towns getting some part-time jobs, but nothing really that interested me. Then one day I answered an ad for a baby sitter. Well it turned out that the family was very wealthy and they took a liking to me. In the end they took me in as part of the family. I’d lied a bit and told them that my parents had both died and I was an orphan.’”
“‘I was a good kid; my step-father was a math teacher at the local university so after I graduated from high school I’d no problem getting admitted to the Uni. I excelled in Chem. Engineering. One summer I worked as an intern for 3M and they liked me so much they made me an offer, but I wanted to get a Masters, however they encouraged me to take the job, and said they’d send me to MIT to further my education. Well I couldn’t refuse that.’”
“‘Cool! Sounds like you have an interesting life,’ I said.”
“‘Yeah very interesting,’ she replied. Soon I was to find out how interesting my Aunt Julia really was.”
“It turned out that Julie was a lesbian, she’d no use for men, but she didn’t try to influence me. She was a caring friend, but by no means was she a parent to me, and the best part was that there were no house rules except that I do my home work.”
“I entered high school and found out that boys were interested in me. I was very hot at a young age; I was 14 but looked like 18 and as I said boys were interested in me and I was certainly interested in them. Lost my virginity in the back seat of a Buick when I was 14 to some guy whose name I can’t even recall, and by the end of my freshman year I’d fucked about half the football and basketball team. By the end of my second year I’d fucked them ALL and some of my teachers; both male and female.”
She’d looked at Sid and started to smile. She’d seen that he’d been getting pissed at that remark, but at that moment she hadn’t cared much what he thought. He’d been the one who’d made her go through with the story, so fuck him if he couldn’t take a joke.
“Well I was a good student.. not great.. but I got by. I had decent grades, but a very bad reputation, so after graduation, I figured the best thing for me and Julie was for me to pack my backs and head west. She didn’t really want me to go, but in the end she gave in. She gave me some cash and said that if I ever needed anything just to give her a call. She was really my best friend not my aunt. We said good-bye and just as she’d said, I walked out the front door and never looked back.”
“I knocked around for about 7 months before I landed here in this jerkwater town. I’d liked the fact they had a nice small College in town, for I knew I’d need an education if I didn’t want to have to fuck my way through life. So here I am.”
That night she and Sid had made mad passionate love. At least they both had agreed on one thing; sex, sex and more sex!!
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment